Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Mexican Balloon rally

This past week was the "Festival de los Globos" here in Chihuahua City. I haven't been to a balloon rally in about 3 years, and I sure didn't expect to be able to go to one in Mexico! But from what I've been told, it's a pretty big thing here. Mexico city (as far as I know) is even called the hot air balloon capital of the world. With the air being so dry, and rain being rather scarce, it makes for perfect "floating" conditions.
In the background of the above picture you can see the liftoff point for the balloons. Notice I'm wearing jeans, jacket and sneakers in the picture, not the type of weather I really expected in Mexico!

Ok this is kind of a funny little culture tid-bit here, In the picture of me with the palm trees you can see how all of them have rope lights on them, for decoration. Which is fun, it's pretty at night and all that, but check out the electrical system 4 inches from the sprinkler that comes on every morning! Interesting...:)

We got started a tad late in the morning, so we only caught the tale end of the flight, but were still able to get some fun pictures.

Mabri Enjoyed the balloons, but I think the blimp was her favorite!

The Blimp...

Early morning palm tree shadows..

Jonas's new found friend...

Check out the spikes on this cactus, or at least I think that's what it is, everything has prickers on it here though!

After watching the festival we went for a quick walk...

Mabri Likes having her picture taken:).


No comments: